Sunday, March 4, 2007

Day Twenty-four: Where is East India?

I'm getting sick of calling people from India, East Indians. As far as I know, no such place exists that is called East India. Now that we've finally stopped calling Natives Indians I think we can start calling Indians Indians. Although I'm sure this will confuse many people at first, we should move on from being politically correct to just being correct. Most likely this all started with that moron Christoforo Columbus. So, he was sailing to India and he found North America instead. What I can't figure out is whether this is because Columbus insisted that he had found India and nobody was willing to risk slavery to speak against him or if it's because they all thought he was an idiot and used the terms Indians and East Indians to slight him. Either way I think we can all agree that this is Columbus's fault and if he weren't dead already I'd punch him in the face.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen people refer to "Indians"
and either East Indians or Pakastanis or aboriginies. Question is this: If I am of European decent then am I European Canadian? And would they let me come back?

Anonymous said...

either way... any term that's used ends up being derogatory at some point. It all wittles down to it.

Matthew Grunert said...

I guess I would be a North American Central European, ZIG HAIL!